News from the Ouachita's

The crazy ramblings of a middle aged woman who is slowly going out of her mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: hamburg, arkansas, United States

I left the work force in '99 to stay home and care for my disabled husband. Being essentially retired at such a young age has brought about several emotional changes and I have found the peace so many seek. Should anyone read my post perhaps they too can find a little peace of mind.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Thanks for the Charity

The last Saturday in June several men representing six churches in the area showed up early and constructed a roof over our trailer. Yes, a good old fashioned barn raising. That’s the kind of people we are blessed to live among. Just today I had decided to go ahead and fix some dressing when out of the blue a man pulled up and dropped off a smoked turkey. Not only do I not know who he was, I no longer ask. People just come by and bring me things I need. I have received so much help from the community that I am no longer surprised by their kindness, but the timing still catches me off guard. Over the last few years, my Mother-in-law has brought us Thanksgiving dinner. Imagine, meals-on-wheels with Mom’s home cooking. Could it be any better? With that thought in mind I wanted a small bit of my dressing and pies so I started cooking this morning. Who could have guessed a turkey would fall out of the sky. We have so much to be thankful for. I am writing this on a computer that was given to me, using an internet provider that has been provided by my cousin, sleeping under a quilt made by the elderly lady across the street just before she died, and wearing clothes provided by others. Every aspect of my life is a tribute to the kindness of others. I wrote before about life being all about teamwork, and that spirit sure is alive around here.
Arkansas and Mississippi are often on the bottom of the list in categories such as income and such but since 1999 these two states have toped the list of the most charitable states. Isn't it something how those who have least give the most?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home