News from the Ouachita's

The crazy ramblings of a middle aged woman who is slowly going out of her mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: hamburg, arkansas, United States

I left the work force in '99 to stay home and care for my disabled husband. Being essentially retired at such a young age has brought about several emotional changes and I have found the peace so many seek. Should anyone read my post perhaps they too can find a little peace of mind.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Clover Day

The yard is coming along beautifully, lots of new growth. There are patches of clover including red clover. While looking over the clover I found 12 four-leafs and 2 five-leafs today. There are several more 4’s in one area but they are still small so I decided to let them grow. Years ago I spread about a pound of red clover seed around because the rabbits love red clover. We used to have several New Zealand whites running around; a retirement home of sorts. They were rabbits that had been in production for years and deserved to live out the rest of their lives with grass between their toes. One doe was about 4 yrs. Old and had been a great Mom, her name was Fighter. The buck that made it to retirement was Z13. Both of them had reached a point to where they were no longer reproducing so I brought them home and turned them loose. I guess there is something about playing in the grass because it wasn’t long before they had a litter. Forget about what you have heard about rabbits multiplying, they may have babies often but only a few survive. Even in production and a controlled environment mortality is high. Around here though, plants and animals thrive. It was so cool watching those big rabbits hopping around the yard. Even had one in the house, Thang. Every time I would go to the bathroom she would come in and lay on my feet. I sure miss her. One night shortly after a new litter came out of the den, a fox got in the yard and wiped out the whole heard. It was horrible. At least chickens can fly and get away from danger. Anyway back to the clover. There is red clover everywhere as well as traditional clover. I don’t remember finding five-leafs before so I looked up what they mean besides good luck. They mean extra good luck and receiving money. I don’t know about more money but we are what some would call extra lucky; I call us blessed. How many people can walk out their front door and pick four-leafs and will?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home