News from the Ouachita's

The crazy ramblings of a middle aged woman who is slowly going out of her mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: hamburg, arkansas, United States

I left the work force in '99 to stay home and care for my disabled husband. Being essentially retired at such a young age has brought about several emotional changes and I have found the peace so many seek. Should anyone read my post perhaps they too can find a little peace of mind.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Lessons from Poverty

The decent into poverty was a drag to say the least. But once we finally hit rock bottom, less than $2000 in assets, then I was able to find assistance in caring for husband. Along the way into poverty, you reach a point where you can’t afford food but don’t qualify for help. At that time you begin to learn about food banks, a wonderful thing. A word about food banks; keep giving the mac & cheese but if you can, throw in something that cleans. (shampoo, dish soap, laundry soap etc.) When the food banks have these items they hand them out and you can’t imagine how exciting it is to get soap. There was a time when I would see someone who was poor and dirty and think, well, the least they could do is be clean. Wrong! Soap cost money and that isn’t always available. Also I wondered how someone poor could be fat. Easy. You should see some of the things we get in our food boxes, mostly sweets and starches. Cheap food is fattening food. So next time you see someone who isn’t as clean as they should be, go easy on them. It is really possible that it couldn’t be prevented.
Last year I became quiet desperate and sent begging letters to ten family and friends. The response was sad to say the least. The only commitment I got was from the same cousin who is providing my internet access. She is the only one in the group, as far as I know, that has experienced true poverty. In all fairness, none of the rest of them have seen us in years and don’t have a clue what I am dealing with. The positive outcome was that the lady who made the copies of the letter for me made a copy and distributed it throughout the neighborhood. There was even a copy in the post office. This community responded beautifully, but then they know what is going on. You really never know how things are going to turn out. With literally millions suffering around the world, I sure can’t complain. Just this week I was down to my last pair of shoes and the glue and rubber band was no longer working. I went to the post office and to the local gas station & deli and let everyone know my need. Today I have three pairs of shoes. Yea. Our TV went out a couple of days ago and that is definitely bad. Husbands whole life is on the couch with TV entertainment. One of the neighbors brought us a small one out of their camper till we could find a regular size cause by small I mean 5”. We got another one the next day but it had not been used for years and was really old; only lasted 15 minutes. Later that day yet another neighbor brought us a huge TV. This neighbor has her own problems and cut off her satellite. She doesn’t have an antenna because she gave it to me a few years back. When I say this place is awesome, I ain’t kidding. Thank God for the locals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home